[wplug] ide burner question

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Tue Apr 24 21:50:18 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:43:45 David Tessitor wrote:
> As I said before, adding the "hdc=ide-scsi" argument alongside the
> "hdd=ide-scsi" argument (hdc=cdrom, hdd=burner) renders the cdrom
> unrecognized
> by the cdplayer apps.
>
> Dave

The cdplayer apps probably are not recognizing the cdrom because they are
looking for /dev/hdc which will probably not respond because you have
scsi-ide emulation loaded.  What I do is either go all scsi on my cdroms or
all ide.  This works very well.  I just have to point programs to the write
device file.  /dev/hdc becomes /dev/scd0 and /dev/hdd becomes /dev/scd1.
Although, cdwriting apps don't reference the cdrom by their device name,
but rather through their scsi id (ie. 0,1,0 or 0,1,1).  What I would
suggest doing is this: Recompile your kernel with the Scsi Generic Modules,
SCSI-ide emulation, SCSI cd support, SCSI Support, and *IDE-CD SUPPORT
MODULE*.  Then add this to your /etc/modules.conf:

pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
alias scd0 sr_mod
alias scd1 sr_mod

Then if a program tries to access /dev/scd0 or scd1 it will load the
necessary drivers, and likewise for /dev/hdc and hdd.  Just don't try to
access one drive scsi and one drive ide.  The cdplaying apps are fully
capable of reading scsi emulated drives.  A nifty thing to do is to run
cdrecord -scanbus to see what cd are currently using scsi-ide emulation.
Hope some of this helps.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key