[wplug] New box

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue Apr 24 08:07:50 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, H. Lee Brinton wrote:

> Well I am finally going to replace my Pentium 150.  I ordered a new box and
> I was wondering if any one in wplug had any experience with any of the
> hardware.  The new machine is:
>
> asus A7M266 motherboard
> AMD Athalon 1.33Ghz
> 512 Mb PC2100 DDR ram

> Plextor 16/10/40 cdrw
scsi or ide? either should be fine though scsi is better for cdrw's in my
opinion. plextor drives are good nevertheless.

> IBM udma100 30GB harddrive
i think udma100 works in the 2.4

> Intel 100Mb network card
eepro 100? i have a whole lab full of computers with these.

> asus 7700 video card (nvidia Geforce2 GTS 32mb)
might have to use binary stuff from nvidia but that should work fine.

> Iomega 250 IDE internal zip drive
shouldnt be a problem.

> Viewsonic GS??? 19in Monitor
the lab is full of viewsonic ps790's. the gs should also be fine.

> Windows 2000 CD
put it in the microwave.

> It should be here shortly.  I am bouncing off the walls with anticipation.  I
> am also a little scared that Linux will not work with hardware this new.

just a few thoughts.
~~
Linux is a trademark of Linus "Not as sexy as Elvis" Torvalds
                            -[From an IBM ad]