[wplug] Package-based distros

David G Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 23 18:35:17 EDT 2001

Right now, I use SuSE 7.0 (upgraded to kernel 2.4.3 and X 4.0.3).  I have
never had any problems with source-built packages messing things up.  The
problem is that some of the esoteric stuff I use is only available as
source, but I basically like RPM's.  Not only that, I haven't been using
Linux long enough to be at the point where I would feel comfortable using
a distro like Slackware (although I may someday.)  So I guess I want to
have my cake and eat it too.  I don't compile stuff like X from source,
but I do need to compile things like audio tools (because that's the only
way some of them come.)
-dgm