[wplug] Mandrake 8.0

T Quine quining at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:28:10 EDT 2001

The sad fact of life is that package-based distributions aren't particularly
friendly toward installs by source.  If you want to install something (say,
XFree) and you want other packages to know that you have it installed, you
have to use the package system, either installing a binary package, or
building your own package that inserts the correct records into the package
management system.  You have to be careful then even, because if you use
some non-standard version, you can cause all sorts of havoc.  I suggest
installing stuff in /usr/local, and/or give up on package dependencies.

I think that package-based distros are mainly for people who *don't* build
from source, and also for quick and easy custom system installs.

-quine-