[wplug] Mandrake 8.0

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Mon Apr 23 13:41:33 EDT 2001

If you are wanting to roll your own, and are using an RPM based system,
then I've had success with this strategy: put hand built stuff under
the /usr/local tree or make rpms.  Most stuff I do the /usr/local route.
Meaning: ./configure becomes ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
or ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/{tool-rev} like for example
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssh-1.2.27
My experience is RPM's from Redhat don't mess in the /usr/local tree.

For stuff in the main tree area (/etc, /bin/, /usr/bin, /usr/X11R6/,...)
then I make my own rpm.  When I've done this, I took an existing source RPM
and built it into a binary RPM to get a working example to start with,
then I substituted all the stuff I was interested in, and voila -- an rpm.

There might be a tool to help create RPM spec files to make the rolling
of an rpm easier.  Anybody know of such?

I'm currently using RH5.2 (I'd upgrade, but everything works) and RH6.2
Though thinking Mandrake 8 sounds like fun to put on one of the machines.

-- Rick