[wplug] unsuccessful KDE 2.1 upgrade on Mandrake 7.2

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Sun Apr 22 00:27:13 EDT 2001

Permissions is an issue which, using a Google search, I found mentioned for the
same error message in some other situations, but I didn't find it identified as
the definitively successful solution for even those situations, just mentioned.
I've started KDE from console with the same results, but I haven't tracked down
any errors that were logged yet.  I don't know that I'd call what happened
"getting KDE started."

The install was originally via Mandrake Update using the loop disk to mount an
iso file of Mandrakefreq, then I tried an upgrade from the CD I burned of it
(the MD5 and the after burn verification both checked out OK), then I used the
various graphical frontends for rpm and finally rpm from the command line.  Not
all succeeded in installing KDE 2.1, but those that did brought the same results
(or less).

BTW, except for the last post to the list, I haven't emailed anything from my
linux installation because I still have to transfer my email setup over yet --
that will basically be the final step in my setting NT aside (now that I have
Win4Lin installed successfully); it's been the next thing on my list after
getting KDE 2.1 up and going, which is one reason this has been so frustrating.
My last resort is to go back to KDE 2.0.1 and wait until Mandrake 8 comes out,
which shouldn't be too long since its Beta3 was just released.

David