[wplug] Loki Games Discount for LUGs

Brian Sammon bsammon at yifan.net
Sat Apr 21 05:27:51 EDT 2001

> For anyone who just wants a deal on good games, I picked up Descent 3 for 12$
> and Heavy Gear 2 for 15$ at HPB on McKnight. Apparently there are others as
> well, so if you're gonna buy, this is the place! When they see that the
> product actually SELLS, then other places may catch on too... ok, don't
> expect to see HG2 in BestBuy next week, but at least you'll be making a
> difference AND getting the deal you want (50% off, right??). Have fun.

One thing to keep in mind (and I'm not sure how HPB in particular works) is
that with many of these discount stores, the reason you see items so cheap
there, is because they are _not_ selling elsewhere.  Many discount stores do
not purchase from the publisher but only buy from other stores that are
clearing out their stocks.
The practical result of this is that if Linux geeks buy out the store's stock
of the particular item, they _won't_ be ordering more from the publisher, but
simply waiting for other stores to have more stock they can't sell.

Of course, it's anybody's guess whether HPB works on this model.