[wplug] programming $

Scott Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 16 09:50:26 EDT 2001

Hi wplug-

This is a bit off the topic of Linux, but I thought some of you might be
able to help me estimate the cost of hiring someone to write a specific
program needed for some research I'm doing. I figure many of you are
programmers, so you might be able to help, and I also might be able to
throw some money your way. Also, I might be able to get the program
written so that it runs on Linux!

The description of the envisioned experiment is below, any guess at how
much someone would charge for this is welcome. And please reply directly
to me. To those of you to whom this is totally irrelevant, I would have
thought you'd hit the delete button by now, but thanks for your patience.

Scott

Audio pile sort experiment description:
Protocol. Participants will see a number of icons or text (this may
change depending on participant reaction) on an otherwise blank computer
screen. Upon clicking on each icon, a phrase-length speech sample (less
than ten words, 4-5 poetic feet) will play into earphones. The
participant's job is to organize the objects into groups of people they
think are similar based on the samples of talk, by dragging the objects
into groups or "piles." Once the participants have decided on a final
arrangement, they will press a key to freeze the display. Then, they will
be interviewed and asked to explain why they grouped speakers as they
did, particularly what social and linguistic aspects they used as
criteria. Instructions and the visual interface will be adjusted until a
smooth-running experiment is created.
Analysis. The program running the experiment will record all movements of
objects made by the speaker, because choices made early in the protocol
are hypothesized to be more significant than later ones. In addition,
final distances between groups will be recorded as a hypothesized measure
of similarity and difference.

--
Scott Kiesling, Asst. Professor
Department of Linguistics