[wplug] which one?

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Thu Apr 12 08:49:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, edstef wrote:

> I use the Oracle client side stuff on RedHat 6.0 and 6.2 with no problems,
> but IMHO the Oracle install is a mess because of  it's reliance on Java.  I
> have taken to just copying the binaries and libraries around for the stuff
> I want and it seems to work fine.
>
> Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Postgres they
> would like to share.  I am thinking about using it for a medium sized
> (maybe a dozen tables, a dozen users, less than a million rows) but
> somewhat critical project.  MySQL is out of consideration because it lacks
> transaction logic.

i use postgresql for most of what i do. the most i've done with it only
has a few thousand rows, but from what i have read it should be able to
handle a million rows easily. i dont know if you have installed it as of
yet. the documentation is pretty good in some places, and sparse in
others. i went to a page once and it said something to the effect of: "no
documentation on this function yet.. feel free to write it for us" the
documentation is broken down into a users guide, sysadmin guide,
programmers guide.

what kind of front end are you thinking of using? i normally use php.

--
john