[wplug] Realtek 8139 PCI card

T Quine quining at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 16:47:17 EDT 2001

>'insmod rtl8139' gives met the following message: "Using
>/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/rtl8139.o [line break] insmod: a module named
>rtl8139 already exists 'modprobe rtl8139' gives no message, just displays
>another command prompt

This means the module is already loaded.  You should check the command
'dmesg' to see if anything was logged when it was loaded.

>OK, I have some questions about that (I do not have dhcp or bootp
>enabled on my home proxy network)... - Is "host name" arbitrary? - what do
>I need for "domain"?

Yes, you can set it to whatever you want. The default is 'localhost', but
that doesn't have to be what you have as your hostname.  That's the name of
the interface 127.0.0.1.  The domain is basically the rest of your fully
qualified address.  So if your machine's IP was penguin.wplug.org, your
hostname would be penguin, your domain would be wplug.org.  Now if you're on
a private network, you can still give your machine a hostname, but it'll not
have anything to do with your IP address (unless you have names of the
machines on your private network, which can be usefull, but not pertinant).

>- Should I enter an I/O or IRQ even though they are labeled optional?

Well, with the problems you've been mentioning, that might be a good idea.
If you aren't sure what irq and io addresses to use, check out the output to
/sbin/lspci (if your device is a PCI device).

>- In a proxy network, does "routing and gateways" need to be set and if
>yes, to what?

Yeah, you'll need to set the gateway to the IP address of the machine on
your private network that is acting as the gateway/proxy/whatever, to
establish the route.

>- What should my settings for name service access order be (dns, NIS, host)
DNS: use the dns servers listed in /etc/resolve.conf to do hostname lookups
files: look in /etc/hosts
NIS: use the NIS server to look up hostnames.  (probably don't want this).

I usually select 'files dns'.

>- NIS settings?

I'm guessing you aren't going to be using NIS, so ignore it.

>- IPX interface... what is the standard for regular catV type cabling?

Another thing you probably won't use.  It's a network protocol used in
Novell networking.  If you don't use it, ignore it.

>Any help appreciated, - Will

-QUINE-