[wplug] Realtek 8139 PCI card

Doug Green doug.green at verizon.net
Sun Apr 8 12:48:33 EDT 2001

Hey-
I haven't seen all of these postings, so I have no idea what the background
of this problem is. However, I DO know that SIOCSFFLAGS warning WELL in
conjunction with ethernet cards. I just suffered through this myself- here is
my advice:

Go to your bios and turn OFF Plug  & Play. Double and triple check this
step!!

When you reboot, try ifconfig (as root) without any options and make sure
that you have two entries: one for lo (loopback) and one for eth0. BOTH
entries must contain the words "UP" AND "RUNNING". If they don't have "UP"
and "RUNNING" then something is still wrong.

If 'ifconfig' only brings up lo, then try 'ifconfig eth0 up'. And then retry
the plain ifconfig to check that both are up and running.

As far as your modules go, did you recently recompile without doing "make
modules" AND "make modules install"? As long as you have the driver you need
for your card, and you can either "insmod" or "modprobe" the correct driver,
you should be ok.

AGAIN- I JUST had this same problem with a tulip based ethernet card. CHECK
YOUR BIOS SETTINGS and reboot before you try anything else (like manually
setting the IP).

Doug