[wplug] Internet filter

Zach Paine zman at angstrom.net
Sat Apr 7 00:07:23 EDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 10:52:20PM -0400, thrift wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure how you would go about doing it at the server, but our
> sysadmin installed vcasel on all the clients and set internet explorer up
> to run through the bess proxy.  It works fairly well, but I can get through
> it, although i'm fairly sure no one else knows how, in a high school of a
> couple thousand students, that puts a very low percent of the kids at being
> able to break through it in the first place.  You could probably figure out
> a few ways to do it at the server, but no matter how you do it, someone
> will be able to break through it eventually....

Interestingly enough, my school just decided to install a filtering proxy
server, "Bess", to protect us from the evils of the internet. To be fair, it
is a K-12 school, and while I don't believe access should be restricted for
anyone, the school needs to take the 'safe' stance.  Anywho, tell me how to
get around it :)  Just kidding.

It seems to make the most sense to filter at the proxy so all content is
filtered through the same rules to all the computers, and it will limit people
poking at around the filter.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key