[wplug] help, part dos?

Doug Green green at np.awing.upmc.edu
Mon Apr 2 22:51:06 EDT 2001

That's dos, not DOS. ;)

Thanks to everyone that replyed to my last posting in which I plead for help
with my ADSL connection. The info I received has been very helpful.
Unfortunately, I'm still not "back" yet. If anyone is particularly good with
networking, please read on and I'll describe the problem (and what I know so
far).

My network card used to work perfectly with my system (and my ADSL modem). I
recently reformatted and reinstalled my OS, and now (for some unknown reason)
it doesn't work. I've tried different distributions, and I've even recompiled
the newest kernel 2.4.2 to try to pick up the built in pppoe, but none of
this has worked. The card works well from within windows, but will not come
up properly under linux. All the drivers are loaded properly, but the device
is not responding (I mean, if I cat /proc/modules I can see that my card's
module is loaded properly) I'll try to be brief in my description of what
happens:

If I boot up and give "ifconfig -a" I initially only have my loopback device
(lo). Then if I give "ifconfig eth0 up" I get some SCISFFLAGS (or similar)
error telling me that the device is unreachable. Now, if I follow up with
"ifconfig -a" I will see "lo" and "eth0" (with a hardware address). HOWEVER,
if I reboot and give (from a fresh boot) "adsl-start" then it will time out
with no connection. Then if I "ifconfig -a" I see lo, eth0 AND ppp0. Of
course, eth0 and ppp0 are not up and running. Interestingly, eth0 WILL appear
to be "Running" but is not "up" (ppp0 is neither). Confused? Me too...

I believe that I have a conflict somewhere, but I don't know how to figure
out what or where this could be. Any ideas??

Here is my system info:
Mandrake 7.2 (totally unmodified, stock install of "everything").
rp-pppoe client version 3 (the latest rpm)
NetGear ethernet card that uses the tulip driver

Please direct your email to green at np.awing.upmc.edu, because my normal email
(doug.green at verizon.net) is not reachable by me for now... Thanks again for
all the help!

Doug