[wplug] Peripheral issues - #1

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Mon Nov 27 19:36:18 EST 2000

Elwin Green wrote:

> Greetings, all-
>
> Another newbie question. Here's the situation: I've installed Mandrake
> 7.0 alongside win98 on a box which has two modems - a 14.4 v/f/d on
> COM3
> (I keep it for voicemail), and a 28.8/33.6 PnP faxmodem on COM4.
>
> I've learned enough to realize that they should show up under Linux at
> ttyS2 and ttyS3, respectively; but in fact it appears that the 14.4 is
> linked to ttyS3, and the 28.8 is not recognized at all.
>
> I tried to reassign the 14.4 to ttyS2 with this command:
>
> ln -s /dev/ttys2 /dev/modem
>
> and got an error message saying "file exists".

Assuming that both modems are not winmodems, you should confirm that you
have set them up to appear in the ports corresponding to COM3 (3E8H) and
COM4 (2E8H).

If the above is confirmed, remove the link /dev/modem. Then recreate the
link to your desired modem:

ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

(use the capital S)

In any case /dev/modem is just for convenience, specify /dev/ttyS# (# as
2 or 3) in your applications to use them.

Another thing you may need to do is configure your PnP modem as com4
after booting. If you know how to use pnpdump and isapnp, that's the way
to go. If you don't know how to use them, consider setting you modem via
jumpers or its set up software as COM4 permanently.

--
     Rafael