[wplug] Peripheral issues - #1

Elwin Green everfree at netzero.com
Mon Nov 27 12:52:04 EST 2000

Greetings, all-

Another newbie question. Here's the situation: I've installed Mandrake
7.0 alongside win98 on a box which has two modems – a 14.4 v/f/d on
COM3
(I keep it for voicemail), and a 28.8/33.6 PnP faxmodem on COM4.

I've learned enough to realize that they should show up under Linux at
ttyS2 and ttyS3, respectively; but in fact it appears that the 14.4 is
linked to ttyS3, and the 28.8 is not recognized at all.

I tried to reassign the 14.4 to ttyS2 with this command:

ln -s /dev/ttys2 /dev/modem

and got an error message saying "file exists".

So here's my question: How can I get Linux to recognize both modems
and to assign/link them with the proper ports?

Thanks!

Elwin G.