[wplug] Perl locale setting

Matthew Wright mattmar at telerama.com
Sat Dec 30 19:23:12 EST 2000

> in bash it would be:
> export LC_ALL="en_US.ISO8859-1"
> repeat for the other two.
> the syntax for setting environment variables is different in csh/tcsh.
>
> john

That did make a change!  Thanks!  I still have the error though  :(   I know
nothing about Perl but from what I have read the last few days while I was
trying to fix this is that it is looking for a VALID setting.  I have looked
at the /etc/sysconf/i18n file and found they were set to en_US.  I changed
then to what they are now, en, while trying to fix this.  I have been reading
postings and articles over @ http://www.perl.com with some explenation but I
have not figured out exactly what it is looking for.  Is it looking for them
all to be the same or just valid.  Is there a list of installed locales to
choose from?  I did a "locale -a" and I saw 'en' and 'en_US'.

Here is a snip from my "locale -a":
en_AU
en_BW
en_CA
en_DK
en_GB
en_GB.iso885915
en_GB at euro
en_IE
en_IE.iso885915
en_IE at euro
en_NZ
en_US
en_ZA
en_ZW

Here is my new error message:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = "en",
	LC_ALL = "en_US.ISO8859-1",
	LC_MESSAGES = "en",
	LC_TIME = "en",
	LC_NUMERIC = "en",
	LC_CTYPE = "en",
	LC_MONETARY = "en",
	LC_COLLATE = "en",
	LANG = "en"

- --
- From the desk of:
  Matthew & Marietta Wright
     mattmar at telerama.com
 http://www.telerama.com/~mattmar
      PGP Key: 4C4C6434

"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch."