[wplug] win4lin?

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Thu Dec 21 21:14:14 EST 2000

You can get a free demo download on the netraverse site.  It's the full
thing with a limited session duration of one hour, at which time a times up
reminder pops up increasingly as one persists.  Still it sounds like a good
way to test it out and for most uses an hour on Windoz is all that would be
necessary.

Some reviews say it runs Win programs faster than when run natively under
Windoz alone.  The conjecture is that it's the faster ext2 and Reiserfs file
systems that are responsible.  That must be a big jump, because most people
don't recognize an operating speed increase unless it's around 4 times
faster (sort of like with sound and decibels).

Netraverse points out that you can't cut and paste between the operating
systems, though.  The work around they give is to copy to a file instead of
the clipboard.  Since the clipboard doesn't always work with Linux apps
anyway, it might be an acceptable solution.  If that can be automated to go
from each respective clipboard to a given file, that would work fine.

(While we're at it, it would be nice to have several layers of clipboard
buffering to hold multiple cuts without losing them.  I've come across a
couple programs which allow that and it's a nice feature.  I've more than
once wished it was in place when I've absentmindedly cut twice before
pasting out the buffer and lost some recent writing before it was saved; it
always seems to be from seeing a quick one or two word edit move and making
it while in the middle of figuring just were I'm supposed to paste down the
numerous paragraph move I've already cut -- ouch!)

Dave

=======