[wplug] A question about the list.

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Thu Dec 21 08:44:56 EST 2000

As far as mutt goes, and I believe true for others, there are ways
to sort mail: sent, receieved, threaded, etc.

Sorting by received puts things in an order that makes sense more
often than sorting by sent.  Threaded does nicely, though not as
convenient for seeing new mail.

Sorting by sent leads to interesting results because it assumes people
have their home machine set near some agreed up time.  Timezone are
factored in.  If your mail reader doesn't, get a new mail reader or hack
the code.  So it is not timestamps themselves, but it certainly can be
related to their setting.  What I have seen over the past years is wplug
mail from people's machines with timezone set wrong, like +5 instead of
-5 for EST Or -5 during the summer when we are -4.  So their mail gets
sorted (if sorting by sent) as hours before they really sent it.  (mega
tangent deleted on the ramifications to this to distributed version
control when people create things that happen in the future).

So try sorting by received, and if you mailer doesn't sort by recieved,
then hack the code, because you are using an open source mailer, right?   :)

-- Rick

==