[wplug] win4lin?

lt ltost at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 22:02:01 EST 2000

Luquilla Hughes wrote:

> Has anybody tried out Win4lin ?
> http://www.netraverse.com/

Yes.  It works very well for most apps that I've tried it with.  Games
(and anything else that uses DirectX are not supported).  It's pretty
fast too.

One observation.  I use RedHat with XFree 4.0.1 (accelerated
framebuffer).  When I ran win95, it worked very well.  When I ran win98,
I had issues with the screen going black where another window overlayed
it (the entire win4lin window would go black if I switch to another X
screen).  Adding Option "backingstore" to the Device section of my
XF86Config file helped tremendously but I still experience minor redraw
problems.  This may depend heavily on my specific config (X,
framebuffer, etc).

IMHO, it's worth $59 to not have to use Windows as your primary OS.

PS.  Sound works as well.

Lance Tost, ltost at pobox.com

Tip of the moment:
No evil can happen to a good man.