[wplug] Talking about keystroke bindings

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Fri Dec 15 09:50:33 EST 2000

Paul Painter wrote:

> Being a former HP tech, I know that those keyboards require a
> Windows9x-based program to program them.  I believe that any modifications
> that you make are saved on software, not on the keyboard itself. Check out
> HP's website for your model of PC to see if the software is there for Linux.
> If there isn't Linux-based software for the keyboard, then it's probably
> safe to assume that you now have some placebo keys.

The keys generate scan codes, they are just ignored. I found old posts
in the lk mailing list about some guy writing a kernel driver to use
these internet keyboards. It was overkill; tried to contact him but his
email is dead.

Anyway, I could make them do something usefull in the text console via
setkeycodes and loadkeys. I can bind the key to a command. Once you are
in X it doesn't work. I can bind the keys to keysym names (like tab, 3,
return, etc.) using xmodmap, but I didn't see a way to make them run a
command like they do in the console. I think you need a program that is
waiting for these key presses and act on them. KDE has something similar
in which they use the 'windows' and 'menu' keys in some keyboards to
popup the K menu, etc.

Wouldn't that be an insteresting program to be able to use these keys?

--
     Rafael