[wplug] Apache Web Server

Michael Skowvron michaels at pittsburgh.sgi.com
Fri Dec 8 10:25:18 EST 2000

> > On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:28:01PM -0800, SDM Linux wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone:
> > >
> > > How can you setup the permission on the apache web server so that a
> > > normal (designated) user can ftp in and change the web page in
> > > /home/httpd/html/*.* and or create and manage their own files in that
> > > directory path on the Apache Web Server.

This has nothing to do with the configuration on Apache.
This is simply a normal unix file permissions issue and the
easiest way to address it is to create a new user group
called something like 'www'.

Let's say that we want the user 'michaels' to be able to manage
the files in /home/httpd/html.  First, add a line like this to
/etc/group

www::140:michaels

The "140" is arbitrary.  Just pick a number greater than 100
that isn't already used.  This creates the group "www" with
gid=140 and michaels is a member of the group.

Change the group id of the directory to 'www' with

chgrp www /home/httpd/html

Make the directory writable to www with

chmod 775 /home/httpd/html

And also set the stickey bit so that all new files and
directories get created as group 'www' with

chmod +s /home/httpd/html

That's it!

--
Michael Skowvron N3IDI       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
michaels at pittsburgh.sgi.com  (412) 473-3571