[wplug] ISP providers in Pittsburgh?

Vincent DiAngelus vincedia at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 13:06:38 EST 2000

Well my experence has been about the same with service
providers.

When I started fooling with Linux I was using
Stargate. I liked them as a provider for my Win boxes.
I got lucky and found the one guy they have on staff
that knows Linux. I think his name was Mike??
But for some reason I coulden't connect above 26.4Kbs
even my transfer rates were down in the 2.4 - 3.0
range. But when I dialed to a number in Butler (I live
in Cranberry) I could get 48-53Kbs. I have been told
everything from; "it's a problem with the lines in
your area" to "you must have a bad modem".

Vince D.
--- Mike Procario <Michael.Procario at science.doe.gov>
wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Our dialup service is normally $19.95/month, but
> we offer a $5/month discount -that's $14.95/month -
> > to Linux users (that is, to folks connecting with
> Linux boxes - we can tell!).  Our service is very
> reliable
> > and uptime is extremely good (we had a total of 20
> HOURS of downtime last year, due to two separate
> > incidents (beyond our control) in which fibers
> were cut - and which brought down other providers
> and
> > hundreds of local businesses.
> >
> > Our basic dialup includes unlimited access,
> personal web page, 10 MB of disk space, etc...
> > We are presently testing our web-based secure
> email access - it needs some polishing on the HTML -
> > and expect to have it fully operational before Jan
> 1 2001.  With regard to specific things that you
> > might want: as some of your fellow WPLUG'ers could
> tell you, we are a lot more flexible than the
> > competition, and we understand YOUR platform - our
> infrastructure is built almost entirely on
> > Linux (with a little bit of Solaris for good
> measure.)
> >
> > In addition to dialup, we also offer DSL services.
>  Due to the nature of the industry, we haven't
> > yet found a way to be competivive with ADSL
> pricing, but our business-oriented SDSL
> > services are both price-competitive and
> high-performance.
> >
> > Our managed virtual hosting, managed/unmanaged
> server co-location, and shopping cart/
> > e-commerce services are flexible, featureful, and
> reasonably priced.
> >
> > Once again, I apologize for the shameless
> commerce, but felt that we have an option that
> > WPLUG'ers should know about.  If you are
> interested in these or any of our other services,
> > please contact us as follows:
> >
> >     * email to me, Rob Dale, or sales at digipath.net
> >     * Rob Dale is usually on IRC
> >     * our sales # is 412-429-6002
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
> >
> > "Christopher W. Aiken" wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 06:06:52PM -0500,
> Jonathan S Billings wrote:
> > > -|Telerama too.  (http://www.telerama.com)
> > > -|(I'm happy with them, they have a tux on their
> front page!)
> > > -|
> > >
> -|_______________________________________________
> > > -|wplug mailing list
> > > -|wplug at wplug.org
> > >
> > > Yep.   Telerama.com is VERY good.  Shell access,
> news servers,
> > > 5MB for home pages, AND webmail for us travelers
> ( along with pop/smtp ).
> > > I've had them for over a year.  $20/month.
> > > --
> > > --
> > > Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
> > > chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com
> > > Current O/S: Debian 2.2 GNU/Linux
> >
> > --
> > )))) This email routed via a wireless gateway!!
> ((((
>
> --

> Mike Procario                 DOE-Division of High

begin:vcard