[wplug] ISP providers in Pittsburgh?

Brian Sammon Brian_Sammon at yardarm.fac.cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 5 11:22:11 EST 2000

> also performed badly.  My second question is do ISP's share POP's?
> Might there only be POP in Frederick and all the various ISP are
> actually using that same connection out it? In my research an awful lot
> of ISP's claimed to support Frederick. If each ran their POP we would
> have a hundred different POP's in town.

Not only do many of them share the same POP, but many of the smaller ISPs
(those that are based elsewhere) use the same modem pool (at least here in
Pittsburgh).   Most up-and-coming ISPs that have national coverage get it
by subleasing/reselling access to someone else's dialup system.  In the
case of cheaper ISPs like the ones I used to use it was PSInet's network.
I went through 3 ISPs and didn't have to change the number I dialed.