[wplug-web] Re: WPLUG Website

Mark Dalrymple wplug at borkware.com
Mon Jul 24 21:44:50 EDT 2006

Hey Mike!

On Jul 23, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Recently, the topic of changing the wplug membership structure has
> come
> up on mailing lists.
>
> I went to the website to look for old board minutes, or news, etc. to
> see how this issue has progressed, and I couldn't find it.

Yep.  it's a problem.  In the short-short term, we can give Dave
Ostroske a login and he can create files locally for minutes and
whatnot.

> Not too long before that, there was a short discussion about changing
> the website's underlying cms.

The need for a wiki (or other similar CMSy thing) is the main thing -
stuff can be put there and edited by folks without access to the
machine.  I know Patrick was talking about mediawiki and that it's
easy to install.  I have no time (Google demands a lot of my time
now, plus less involvement due to gas prices and having one vehicle
in the family) to take something like that on (plus I get soooo
frustrated installing opensource software packages and the associated
configuversionitis.  it drives me nuts)

The current website is an apache process that serves as a reverse
proxy for the mailing list stuff (which also runs in apache), and
OpenACS running in AOLServer.  I think jo2y had RT running as well.
The openacs version is a bit old, and is need of an upgrade (Which is
why I haven't installed a wiki package for it yet).  I haven't made
the time to do the upgrade, which will be a PITA because of local
customizations.

One of the nice thing about OpenACS is that it has an integrated
access control mechanism, making it easy to dub people as editors of
particular parts of the site.  I'm not adverse to adding something
adjacent to OpenACS (like http://wplug.org/lists/) for a wiki or some
similar thing - so long as there is some kind of access control.
It's entirely too easy for a small organization's wiki to become
completely covered in spam.  This I think is the ideal short-to-
medium term solution.  Keeps me out of the loop since I know I'll be
the bottleneck.

If you'd (or anyone else) like to totally replace the system, that's
fine.  It currently runs out of Postgresql with a pretty rich data
model, and I can dump things like the membership database and meeting
schedule (which are the two primary uses of the database outside of
the general site architecture).

I'm a bit leery of grand plans, having survived two previous WPLUG
efforts of building a grand system (first Lain, and then the
zmanevand php monstrosity) - it was in the middle of the second one
where I finally got tired and built the openacs based WPLUG website
over a weekend, and the meetings module in another - it's been going
now for about 4 years).

But if you have the will to lead things, you've got my support (just
not necessarily time :-)  One thing I don't want to happen is to
jettison a working system in favor of a new regime that never gets
finished.  Once there's a working development site somewhere, I'd be
happy to throw the switch and hand the reins over.

Cheers,
++Mark Dalrymple, markd at borkware.com
   "As I *am* getting older, here is my advice for the young ones on the
    list: Show up. Enjoy. Reflect. Love. Share. Forgive. Believe in the
    abundance. Do good work. Laugh. Learn."
     -- Aaron Hillegass