[wplug-web] Happy New School Year!

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 20:40:34 EDT 2003

--- James O'Kane <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:
> I'm not opposed to this, I'm just not convinced a
> technology solution will
> cure a social problem (apathy/laziness).

I completely agree.  It's one of the first rules
applicable to my profession.  "If no one will actually
use the system, then it's worthless.  Don't implement
it."

However, in order to complete more lug tasks, we need
to draw in more volunteers.  And I don't see this
happening if we only rely on mailing list, IRC and the
occasional GUM turn out.

I do feel that if we can get the webpage back on it's
feet, and make it more interactive, then we, at the
very least, will have more of a permanence to
assigning tasks.  There are no IRC logs, and the
mailing list is so damn unfocused when it comes to
these things.

So, a simple static wish list would
  1.  List the board's goals, and express in one
static spot what the leadership deems most
important... lending a sense of direction.
  2.  Provide the rest of the group with a list of
volunteers.  This gives other members an idea of who
is who, and what qualifications our developers posess.
 Not to mention the ever important "who's to
blame^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H in charge" when something needs
to be fixed.
  3.  Bring focus and continuity to said projects and
some coordination of our resources.  If left to
itself, nothing will ever be done.  Plus most of our
resources are seasonal and tend to disappear with the
summer vacation.  A static list, at the very least,
should be there when they get back.  And it allows us
to track progress without actually establishing direct
communication with the volunteer.
  4.  Raise awareness (ick, I hate that phrase) to the
needs of the LUG.  Obviously, if people visit the site
for other needs... like directions to the installfest,
they may come across the wish list.

etc, etc.  You get the point.