[wplug-web] postgresql tweaks for openacs

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat Jun 14 00:49:58 EDT 2003

Mark(d2),

I found out why tweaks to postgresql didn't work way back when.
I don't remember what we tried, but we ended with this:

shared_buffers = 3072        # 2*max_connections, min 16
#max_fsm_relations = 100    # min 10, fsm is free space map
#max_fsm_pages = 10000      # min 1000, fsm is free space map
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64 # min 10
#wal_buffers = 8            # min 4
=== I changed it tonight to ====
shared_buffers = 15200      # 2*max_connections, min 16
sort_mem = 32168            # min 32
wal_files = 3               # range 0-64
checkpoint_segments = 3     # in logfile segments (16MB each), min 1

The secret ingredient was this in /etc/sysctl.conf

kernel.shmmax = 134217728

It restarted so I declared it a working product and shipped it. (it
restarted postgresql and kicked the nsd processes.)

We need to turn down the logging in wplug-error.log or rotate that file
every once in a while.

-james