[wplug-web] proxy fun

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Mon Feb 24 18:46:09 EST 2003

Hey Gang,

I've been playing with my reverse proxy thing for the wplug.org
front-end, and am seeing something that's confusing me.

I've got my proxy (AOLserver based) listening on port 8083.  If it
sees an url with /mailman or /pipermail at the start, it'll talk to
the apache server currently running wplug.org.  The weird thing is
that apache isn't resolving the url correctly (or something).  I get

  Not Found
  The requested URL /mailman/listinfo/wplug was not found on this server.
  Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.wplug.org Port 8080

But if I go directly to wplug.org:8080 or just wplug.org with that
url it works great.  If I go through my proxy, nothing happens.
I don't see any activity happen in the access_log or the error_log
in /var/www/www.wplug.org/logs.  I do see activity in those logs if I put
in a bad url like http://www.wplug.org/hot/monkeybot/sex

What's also interesting is that the proxying to the aolserver/acs
instance running on port 8081 works great.

So things I'm wondering are:
  * Are there any other apache logs with diagnostic information

  * Is apache looking for any specific headers that I might not be
    providing
    - and if so, is there a way to get it to trace exactly which HTTP
      headers it's getting.  to compare what it gets from a browser
      vs what it's getting from me.

Thanks,
++md