[wplug-web] schema for mailing lists

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Fri Feb 21 14:51:31 EST 2003

From: "James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:59:04 -0500 (EST)
> It's not exactly a 'primary' email address, but rather one that the user
> wants to get email. In some cases, for whatever reason, people might want
> to get email sent to more than one address. They also might want to have
> different options for each address, one might get digest while the other
> gets regular format mail. So I think we need to put an email address field
> on the _map table. (We could put just extra email addresses in a seperate
> table with a unique id, but that doesn't seem nessesary, unless we plan
> to use them for anything else?)

The way that you describe it, the _map table would act more like a "subscriptions" table than as a simple map. It would hold fields for the different mailing options for a given subscription. And if someone wanted delivery to more than one address, then they would simply subscribe twice.

> I still need to double check the Mailman API to see what types of queries
> it normally does. But for example, given a list name, it would want all of
> the addresses of who it should send mail to. Another is given an email
> address, is it allowed to send mail to the list in question.

Pardon my ignorance in this matter; I'm just trying to help. But, if you have complex queries for retrieving email addresses, etc., could you define views in the database that would return just the data that Mailman would expect? Or are you strictly limited to using only tables?

> -james

--- David Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org