[wplug-web] Re: wplug-web digest, Vol 1 #176 - 2 msgs

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Apr 28 22:31:57 EDT 2003

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 07:56  PM, Jay Kramer wrote:
> I have the code mostly worked out as I have several canned perl
> scripts to
> look at.  I am now looking into security issues and good programming
> techniques to patch up security holes.  Basically, the most security
> issues
> include protecting against buffer overloads and access to cgi-bin.  I
> also
> began to write the code in XHTML 1.1 and Iearned it is best to do in
> an old
> browser friendly language so I need to rewrite.
>
> Jay

You might want to look into OpenACS if you'd like to build a member's
directory.  One of the features of this toolkit is the user accounts.

I'm sure that the other web people could describe the plans that we've
made.  I seem to recall that we were going to have user accounts
integrated between mailman and the web page.

One of the reasons we moved away from a bunch of home-brew scripts and
PHP was to avoid the security problems we've run into in the past.
Also, we can leverage the mature system to make a very functional
website.

I'm sure that some of the other people here could explain how things
are set up, it'd probably be a good idea to let people know how things
are arranged nowadays.

Jonathan