[wplug-web] new website initiative

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Thu Nov 7 12:08:15 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, James O'Kane wrote:

> I'm hoping to run this website as a formal project, using the things I
> learned a tutorial Monday.
> (http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa02/tutorials/tutmon.html#M13)
>
> Until I digest the tutorial info a bit more, I'm going to suggest that we
> just keep things at a brainstorming level. I'll plan a meeting with an
> appropriate agenda in the next few weeks, and we can break the project
> into parts.

  I think you'll see different project managements approaches for different
kinds of projects.  A SysAdmin's project management methods may be less than
optimal for software development.  I've been praticing eXtreme Programming
techniques and now think it's the greatest thing for software projects.

  While I think project management is all well and good, I've found a
successful project depends more on one of two things - 1) a critical mass
of coders using the same language or 2) someone who has the time and energy
to at it alone.  I'm not trying to detract your goals, but without either
of those, all the project management effort in the world isn't going help.

Just my $0.02

--
Robert Dale