[wplug-web] Re: [wplug-plan] website planning meeting

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Dec 13 13:01:46 EST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, David Ostroske wrote:

> Sorry, James. December 22nd would not work for me at all. I have too
> much to do for the holidays, and I'll need the time to do them. Besides,
> aren't we meeting this weekend? Couldn't we do this then?

We could and we might. I was just pinging the crowd to see if that was a
better time because of the time limits of our in-house openacs expert.

> There was a brainstorming session last month. In fact, some folks voted
> on their favorites already. Here's the site:
> http://badgertronics.com/wplug/newsite/

If we have a list, we could shorten that time and length the other
section. I knew there a bunch of idea floating around somewhere. But it
helps to have several people in a room throwing things around and seeing
what combinations of ideas come out.

> Whoever does the work, makes the decisions. Anyone who talks up doing
> some feature, then doesn't actually contribute, gets their feature put
> aside. Voting would matter on the parts that would affect all or most
> developers. That would include things like platforms, toolkits, and
> infrastructure. Anyone who has experience with these things should
> certainly have a vote, even if they don't have time to develop. I
> wouldn't vote (this is my first web project), but James, I'd think you
> should be able to.

I plan to do near zero amount of work on the website. I'll probably help
with the server side setup and administration because I help once in a
while with that already.
For this project, I'm only planning on acting as a project manager, so
I'll leave the decision of tool up to those who have more time.

I am sensing from this list and irc that those who have voiced an opinion
say openacs and the rest don't care? I do remember one offer of java help.
I guess we could be less formal and just pick openacs and start thinking
about some of the other steps, such as off-the-shelf vs custom things.

-james