[Wplug-web] CVS

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 15:05:26 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Robert Dale wrote:

> CVS will not manage symlinks.  However, I believe everything should be
> uncer version control and therefor no need to use symlinks.  A live site
> should not be under version control, but instead use releases from the
> repository.  The live site's config files should then be modified as
> needed.

Agreed. Since stable really doesn't undergo any development changes
anyway (or shouldn't), this method makes more sense than having the live
site under revision control.

> Typical cvs session:

[snip instructions]

Sounds pretty easy. Do you know if there are any tools similar to bk's
citool that will automatically find changed files? Not a necessity, but
would be nice to have.

> > > Ok.. what does that mean?  How will that effect me?  I use vi.
>
> CVS is editor agnostic.  BK seems to enfore file locking.  In CVS, it's
> very optional.  If it were optional in bk and turned off, that would
> ease usage greatly.

Excellent. Now I get to put my emacs book into practice, for that was my
secret motivation for switching this effort to CVS ::cackles::

-Evan