[Wplug-web] CVS

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 15:01:37 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Evan DiBiase wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Zach Paine wrote:
>
> > They're in the repo because that's where they belong on the actual page.
> > Bk keeps the symlinks under revision control which helps when moving
> > between repos (stable and unstable).
>
> Hrm, okay. Makes sense. +1 bk unless CVS can do this.

CVS will not manage symlinks.  However, I believe everything should be
uncer version control and therefor no need to use symlinks.  A live site
should not be under version control, but instead use releases from the
repository.  The live site's config files should then be modified as
needed.

> > Breaking is really the learning curve.  So are you saying cvs is easier?
>
> That's what rob tells me. It seems easier; it's in use a lot more
> places.

Typical cvs session:

First time:
cvs co <name>

Then on:
# sync local copy
cvs update
# make changes
vi, emacs, whatever
# sync again to check for conflicts
cvs update
# check it in
cvs ci <files>
# rinse, repeat

> > Ok.. what does that mean?  How will that effect me?  I use vi.

CVS is editor agnostic.  BK seems to enfore file locking.  In CVS, it's
very optional.  If it were optional in bk and turned off, that would
ease usage greatly.

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998