[Wplug-web] CVS

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 14:52:11 EST 2001

My assessment of bk is that it's a poweful tool but needs to mature.
Bk should not let users break the repository, commands are not intuitive
and sometimes very confusing.  Unfortunately, sometimes it takes breaking
things to learn how commands really work.

Example, I tried to move a directory.  "bk mv" seemed obvious, quite to the
contrary.   It wiped out the directory I tried to move.  I could not
figure out how to get the status of my local copy and reverse the changes.
I had to resort to wiping my local repo and reclone the master.
After reading some docs, instead I should have used "bk mvdir".  It's
usage wowuld seem obvious, again it is not.  "bk mvdir lib/ .." will
move only the FILES to ".." and not the lib/ directory itself.  Instead,
one has to do "bk mvdir lib/ ../lib/".  This turns out to be a clever
feature in that it let's the directory be renamed at the same time.
But I'm not done yet!  This only works in the master repo because BitKeeper
Basic is missing a lot of functionality from the Professional version.

I'm disappointed by this crippling.

I think trying bitkeeper was a fun experiment, but I'm not sure it's
for us at this time.  I would prefer to go with CVS and revisit bk
in the future.  However, I've been at this for only two days and would
be willing to keep at it.

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998