[Wplug-web] Anonymous bk access

Zach Paine zman at angstrom.net
Thu Dec 21 12:40:05 EST 2000

This is a possible solution:

----- Forwarded message from Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> -----

X-From_: lm at bitmover.com Thu Dec 21 12:04:02 2000
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:03:57 -0800
From: Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com>
To: Zach Paine <zman at angstrom.net>
Cc: bitkeeper-users at bitmover.com
Subject: Re: Setting up bk

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:14:17AM -0500, Zach Paine wrote:
> 1. Some of the files in the repository contain sensitive information that
> should not be public.
> 2. I do not want everyone writing to the repository
>
> I would rather do the latter, limiting what people can grab to certain files.
> Is this possible?

BK is currently an "all-or-nothing" model.  There isn't any way to filter
out some files in a repository.

What I would do to deal with this is put the files you are worried about in
a different repository (run bk setup again; if they are that sensitive
you might want to make it a single user repository so it doesn't log your
checkin comments) and then create symlinks in the main repository which point
to the other docs.  So if you have a tree like

	my_website/
		index.html
		logo.gif
		confidential.txt

you break it into two trees

	my_website/
		index.html
		logo.gif
		confidential.txt -> ../../private_stuff/confidential.txt
	private_stuff/
		confidential.txt

THen you can put a BKD running in the my_website one without push or
cd permissions.  Read that last part again!  You want to start the
BKD like so

	cd my_website
	bk bkd -xcd -xpush -lBitKeeper/log/anonlog

that will prevent people from using that bkd to look in ../private_stuff.
Read the bkd man page, it talks about all this crud.  You might also look
at the "parent" man page, it talks about how to use ssh if you want to
be super secure.
--
---

----- End forwarded message -----