[wplug-plan] BackInTime Presentation

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Mar 19 18:41:32 EDT 2016

Dan Martin wrote:
> What is Justin's disagreeable assertion?  After a 3rd reading of his
> proposal, I still don't see anything controversial.

Most specifically, I found this utterly non-true to start ...

Justin Smith wrote:
> Linux is an incredibly versatile family of operating systems but suffers
> from deficiencies for certain use cases. File backup is one of them.

There are 10x the options with many GUI and easy-to-use solutions than
either Apple or Microsoft.

Apple has its MacOS X-centric (or only) focus, and Microsoft has its
Windows-centric (often only) focus.  I understand this causes many
people to assume Linux doesn't have anything "easy to use", because
there is not a "default" program or GUI from "The Linux company."

But let's put that aside ...

There are some partners of Microsoft that are Windows-only, some even
just making GUI wrappers around rsync et al.  Several others make some
Linux clients, some poor, some excellent.  There are even
"boot/recovery/rollback" options with btrfs (SuSE, a few others), and
various LVM tools, in addition to the backup.

But I'll even put that aside ...

Then there are the "blackbox" solutions, like Apple's hardware
all-in-one.  There are countless more for Windows.  Several also do
Linux.  There are about a half-dozen SMB (small to medium business),
and even a few SOHO, boxes sold at Superstores or common tech places
that actually have pretty good, "out-of-the-box" Linux support ...
including ...

Justin Smith wrote:
> Sure, for a more advanced user, it's easy enough to set up an ownCloud
> instance or piece together a scripted set of rsync runs, but what about
> the for the average user who wants something that "just works?"

... for the "regular user" who just wants something that "just works."

The key is ... I really did _not_ like how that started at all.  I
understand that people who deal with a lot of non-Linux, Apple,
Microsoft and/or partner "included" tools think Linux doesn't have
much.

But Linux has not only much open source, but many IHV/ISVs are out
there that provide a lot for Linux.

It's not all just NetBackup v. rsync scripts, even if that's all most
companies use.  :(

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith