[wplug-plan] Why is there no rebuild of SLES?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Feb 11 17:08:53 EST 2015

Oh, in case people bring this up ...

As of RHEL6, Red Hat no longer releases kernel SRPMS with the full
"patchsets" and other "patches" to the upstream kernel base.  This did
not affect CentOS at all, who strives for 1:1 bitwise compatibility,
despite a lot of demonizations in the media.  I.e., even the CentOS
maintainers came out and explicitly stated it affected them none.

This was largely done against downstream, for-profit, _commercial_
vendors who add their own patches, while leveraging all of the
sustaining engineering Red Hat does on (up to) 10+ year old kernels
that have long been abandoned by the Upstream.  I.e., It forced these
downstream, commercial-focused entities to make similar investments,
as Red Hat has, into the kernel and related, core library maintenance.
E.g., Oracle has their own, internal tree for its Unbreakable
Enterprise Kernel (UEK), and no longer has an easy way to leverage all
the various backports and other patches that Red Hat previously and
inherently self-documenting piecemeal patching approach.

As a nice side-benefit, there are now more people at Oracle
contributing to the Upstream as a result.  That's always the great,
side-benefit the community receives when you have to have people in
your organization tracking changes and maintaining them on an older
release -- they tend to find issues, contribute fixes and even suggest
and contribute improvements and other features.

- bjs