[wplug-plan] Social meeting this Saturday, 12/13

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Dec 10 19:51:06 EST 2014

We are unfortunately limited by the time constraints imposed by December. If we delayed the event by a week, it would be less than a week before Christmas, and people might be on vacation or preparing to travel. If we delayed it by two weeks, it would take place just a few days /after/ Christmas, and people would almost certainly be busy with other matters.

I think John is right: since our "soft deadline" for finalizing plans on Tuesday has come and gone, there isn't much we can do to salvage December. We should take this as a hard lesson about the importance of planning.

In the mean time, we can gather ideas for January. While I, personally, support the Free Software Foundation, I know that a number of individuals in WPLUG are closer to the "open source" camp, so I wish them well, but I don't recommend we become directly involved.

There is also no shortage of things that the Technology Committee could work on during the lull. It's great that we were able to migrate the VPS to CentOS 7, but we still need to work on implementing Stripe online payments, and it would be a great improvement if we could set up automated membership renewal notices. If anyone feels like working on these or other related ideas, let's take it up on the /wplug-internet/ list.

*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."/

/-Calvin Coolidge/