[wplug-plan] Private voice chat server?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Jun 23 15:17:40 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 12:21:33AM -0400, Justin Smith wrote:
> The way I see it, we'd operate Mumble as a service for WPLUG members
> and allow them to invite guests. I admit we probably don't /need/ this, but
> it might be fun to try since we're still sitting on a truckload of unused
> bandwidth.
>
> Is this something you'd use?

This is an interesting thought.  Although personally I probably
would not use it, my needs tend to deviate from those of the
community at large.

Something to consider: does mumble/murmur support federated
communications?  That is, am I limited to only speaking with
others who would be directly connected to the WPLUG server, or is
there an interconnection to the outside world?
<http://wiki.debian.org/UnifiedCommunications>

This (IMO) would tend to increase the utility of such a service.
Think of it as the difference between running a stand-alone IRC
server and one which is part of a larger network.

In fact, Google Talk used to support federated Jabber/XMPP
connections, but we know where that ended up.
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/01/open-federation-for-google-talk.html>
<http://www.cio.com/article/733987/Google_Weak_XMPP_Support_Capabilities_Led_Us_to_Proprietary_Tech_in_Hangouts>

I'm not saying that Mumble is a bad idea, just wondering if
there's a way to give it or another option broader appeal.