[wplug-plan] The mechanism for proposing changes to the bylaws

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Sat Dec 8 21:34:08 EST 2012

On 12/8/2012 9:00 PM, John Lewis wrote:
> Well I propose a change to the bylaws.

Without getting into whether this specific proposal is a good idea or
not, I will say that it's a decent example of how one would propose a
change the the bylaws (and even if not advanced on it's own, could form
an example of how any future bylaws "update" proposals could look) -
point out what you want to change, point out what you want to change it
to, and give some kind of rationale as to why.  Because the membership
are the only ones who can change the bylaws, and you need to show them
that your proposal is a good idea.

It's any member's right to propose an amendment to the bylaws, but
remember that sending a note to a mailing list doesn't create a "valid"
proposal.  Section 10 of the bylaws (along with the Special Rule of
Order regarding Absentee Balloting) describes how it's done.

--Pat.