[wplug-plan] Making the big changes

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Dec 6 10:34:14 EST 2012

Unfortunately I do not have time at the moment to respond at
length to the discussion; I'll try to do that over the next couple
of days.

But I do want to point out that there seem to be a lot of
misconceptions floating around as to what the bylaws require.  I'm
more than happy to provide guidance and interpretations when
asked.

Note that WPLUG's bylaws are not all that unique; all
organizational bylaws are interpreted according to the principles
of general parliamentary procedure.  Adopting a new set of bylaws
is not a cure-all, especially if those principles are not
understood.

The short version is that people seem to be seeing barriers that do
not actually exist.  As an example, I'll point out that WPLUG's
bylaws could be changed through the participation of only four
people.

A bylaw amendment is proposed at a membership meeting.  Such a
meeting can take action so long as a quorum is present.  The
lesser of 1/5 of the membership or ten members constitutes a
quorum.  So if WPLUG has (say) 20 members, a quorum is four.  If
only four members show up to a membership meeting, they can
propose an amendment to the bylaws by a vote of 4-0, 3-1, 2-1, or
1-0: a simple majority vote.

The question then is put to the membership by absentee ballot.  If
only one member casts a ballot, and votes in favor, then the
amendment is passed 1-0.  So the bylaws could be amended with only
a single person's vote!  If some members vote against, then at
least twice as many "yes" votes as "no" votes are needed for the
amendment to be adopted: a 2/3 vote.

So for an amendment that has no opposition, the vote of a single
member is all that is necessary to modify the bylaws, and three
additional members are just needed as warm bodies to be present at
the membership meetings.

Of course, if there is opposition then a greater level of support
will be needed, but that's by design to protect the organization.