[wplug-plan] Making the big changes

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Dec 6 00:41:20 EST 2012

On 12/6/2012 12:32 AM, Justin at js-wordsmith.com wrote:
> To be honest, I don't like all of these emails cluttering up my inbox.
>
> It isn't that I have a problem with asynchronous communication in general; I love using message boards. They're easy to search and keep discussions well-organized. I know you programmer types love using mailing lists, but I feel like they're more suited to announcements than discussion.
>
> I'd love to replace WPLUG's mailing lists with a message board like phpBB, which is GPL software, but I doubt such a proposal would get anywhere. That being the case, real-time communication is my second choice.

Interesting... ;-)  I was reading in the list John sent, that the author
recommends doing everything in e-mail rather than message boards /
forums, as (he asserts) the latter tend to create insular communities,
which is asserted to be a bad thing...  I guess it really is a matter of
personal style.  For myself, I happen to prefer having everything
"important" in e-mail, or on Facebook (yeah, I know ... I don't really
use Google+, because almost nobody I know in real life uses Google+, and
those are the people I want to talk to...).  I participate in some
message boards, but I find that my participation tends to be "hit and
run" - I have a specific question or issue I want to discuss, I ask (or
say) it, get an answer, and then go away and often don't come back for a
long time. Don't like having a dozen different sites to check each day.
For message boards I follow closely, where it's supported, I will tend
to "subscribe" to the forums I care about, so that all forum posts get
sent to my e-mail (which is almost always the first place I see them).
Or subscribe to them in an RSS reader like RSSowl if possible, but
admittedly don't even check RSSowl more than a couple of times per week.

But yeah - it really is a matter of personal style, and what you're used
to (and how you prefer to work).

--Pat.