[wplug-plan] World IPv6 Day

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Wed May 25 03:51:22 EDT 2011

We have all been hearing about IPv6 and have all been told that the crisis on IPv4 is right around the corner.

I just learned that there is a World IPv6 day scheduled http://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/how-to-join/

I figured this is a great exercise.  So far I have done the following:

 * I contacted the data center where I have a web site hosted and inquired about how to set up AAAA record.  The ticket is "escalated" and still unanswered.

 * I contacted Verizon to ask if my FIOS connection supports IPv6.  I was told "sure", then told it would be available "soon".  The wild guess on "soon" from the tech was probably within 3 or 4 years.

 * The primer at http://geekosaur.com/2011/05/ipv6-primer/ referred me to http://tunnelbroker.net/new_tunnel.php to get a "tunnel".  I finally got a tunnel set up, but so far no "dancing turtle" at http://www.kame.net/.  Maybe I just need to wait a while or reboot.

Is anybody planning to participate in World IPv6 Day?  Any suggestions on avenues I have not pursued?

Greg