[wplug-plan] [wplug] Facebook Group

Dave Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:37:14 EDT 2011

Hi Brian,

I was the one who created that group on Facebook. It was intended to be
separate but related to WPLUG. The description is (and I'll quote it in full
here, since they'll be archiving that group):

"Here's an online gathering place for Facebook users from the Pittsburgh
region who are interested in Linux, free software, open source, and the
amazing things that this software lets us all do. If you've got a cool tip
to share, then post it here.

"We're particularly interested with the state of FOSS in the Pittsburgh
region, though anyone may join. There's no particular affiliation here with
WPLUG (the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group), which we mention just so
people will know about it. We're open to any and all folks interested in
free and open-source software, even BSD users! We'll even play nice with
Windows people who can't live without their favorite open-source tools and
office productivity suites."

Beyond the original setup, I didn't have much interaction with the group,
partly because it didn't offer much interaction at the time. I'm not sure if
creating a new group in the new format would be worth it. If someone did
make such a new group, though, I'd join it.

Not sure what you could do, beyond using the typical channels, to recruit
Linux professionals. I use a lot of open-source software, but I've had to
work in Microsoft shops for the past decade. Personally, I'm currently
seeking work, so I've been reading wplug-jobs. I don't recall why a separate
jobs list was set up (it may have been to keep technical discussions in one
place), but discussion of Linux jobs and the Pittsburgh job market on the
main list would be germane.

-- Dave Ostroske