[wplug-plan] PR for October/November

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Oct 13 23:44:23 EDT 2010

Thank you for taking an interest in these matters.  As explained
below, we have taken these considerations into account.

Weber, Lawrence A wrote:
> At the September meeting a motion was made and adopted that the
> September 18th meeting be continued at 11:00 on October 16.  How is
> it that this decision is being overturned and the meeting is now a
> week later and at a non-standard time.

You are correct that the meeting was continued to October 16.
This decision has not been overturned.  Should a quorum attend on
October 16, they are free to conduct business, including making
nominations.  (See discussion of "adjourned meetings" on pp. 90-91
and 234-239 of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 10th ed.)

It was not until later that we realized this date is the same
weekend as the Central PA Open Source Conference, which would
compete for attention.  Therefore we arranged for meeting space
on, and are promoting, October 23.  This is anticipating what we
expect to happen in the next paragraph.

The regular chair and vice-chair have said they will not be
present at the Wilkins School on October 16.  In their absence, I
intend to call the meeting to order and immediately move to
adjourn it to October 23.  It will be up to the members present to
vote on adopting this motion.  My expectation is that I will be
the only member present, and the motion will be adopted quickly.
(As described on pp. 336-337 of Robert's Rules, a quorum is not
needed to schedule an adjourned meeting.)

> Also Regular Meetings are to be announced at least 2 weeks in
> advance, nomination meetings require at least 4 weeks.

The meeting on October 16 (and the one anticipated for October 23)
will be a continuation of the September meeting, for which notice
was already given.  No further notice is necessary.

> October is officially the Annual Meeting and is to be used to
> elect Directors.  The decision to continue the September meeting
> did not reschedule the October election until November, at a
> non-standard meeting location and time.

The regular meeting for October was originally scheduled by the
Board for the 9th and was cancelled by the Board at its October 1
meeting.  There is therefore no regular membership meeting taking
place in October, just the continuation of the September meeting.

Since the elections require three weeks' notice after nominations,
if nominations take place on October 23 the earliest opportunity
for elections is November 13, which is the first regular meeting
occurring after September.

I am in complete agreement that the ideal situation would have
been to take nominations on September 18 and hold elections in
October.  However, given that we were not able to obtain a quorum
then and with the other conflicting events (CPOSC and Pittsburgh
Perl Workshop), this seemed like the best way to proceed under the
circumstances.  I'm always happy to listen to alternative
suggestions.

I really appreciate members taking a serious interest in WPLUG
business, and hope you are able to come to the October 23 and
November 13 meetings.  If you wish, you may also come on October
16, but I do not expect much to take place then.  :)