[wplug-plan] Installfest crowd size?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:09:13 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Weber, Lawrence A
<Lawrence.Weber at ansaldo-sts.us> wrote:
> The cost of the Carnegie Hall seems expensive, particularly when you add in
> the extras.  Does anyone have a feel for how many non wplug members/regulars
> that attend the Installfests.  If you break it down to $ per new contact,
> how does it look?

Just off the top of my head, I would guess there are about 10 members
that might attend an installfest, and 10 non-members.  Both of those
numbers may be a little high, but that's the ballpark.

The concern for me is not the $ per new contact, but the fact that we
would need to attract a lot of new members to support an installfest
at such a location.  We have around 25 members, which works out to
about $500 per year (not including donations).  Figure we have an
overhead of $250 per year for the website and mailing lists and other
basically fixed costs.  That leaves about $20 per meeting if you
assume 12 meetings a year.

At present, our financial health is better due to a few years of
surpluses and some donations.  And I do generally advocate spending
the money we have rather than sitting on it.  But my initial thought
when I heard the cost for the Carnegie Library of Carnegie was
"dealbreaker."