[wplug-plan] May installfest venue

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:59:43 EDT 2010

Folks,

We have about 35 days to plan an installfest. Do we have a venue?

Look. There will be a new version of Ubuntu then. The only reason why we
wouldn't have a rocking installfest is failure to plan.

I am volunteering to wrangle this event to make it the best ever only if I
can convince 3 others at the 4/10 meeting to help me. Excitement is
required, not experience.

What are we going to do?
Make this installfest about installing and trying linux for the first time.
LiveCDs will be given out. Demo computers will be on hand to try it out.
Classes will be on basic desktop applications. If someone sees it and says
"maybe next time" we will make efforts to follow up and invite them in July.

Who are we going to invite?
Contact the community around the installfest site. The primary message is
"Is your computer a clunker? STOP! Don't throw it away! Free software,
classes, and refurbish support. Your computer will be better than new and it
will not cost you a dime."

Should Linux experts just stay at home?
No. These are the people who will be teaching the classes, hold handing
folks through installation, and being generally friendly.

How are we going to get the word out there?
Hype it in and outside wplug with some serious gorrila marketing.
Online: facebook, twitter, linkedin, meetup, craigslist
Local community: church news bullitens, library signage, coffee shops
Contact the media: weekend calendars in any source, newspapers, record a 15
second psa around for radio stations
WPLUG: provide resources like flyers and canned emails to make it crazy easy
for someone to invite a friend to this installfest.

I've posted all of this to the wiki already.
http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20100515

Think about it. Don't you want this installfest to be awesome?

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher