[wplug-plan] local libraries in danger of losing State and Funding funding

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Wed May 13 21:45:34 EDT 2009

Fellow WPLUG members,

As per the current PA state budget, Pennsylvania libraries are in
danger of losing State and Federal Funding...
http://www.carnegielibrary.org/about/support/advocate.html

The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh can not afford the loss of funding
from both sources since they did a RAND study to improve the financial
situation *before* they new about the State budget cut...
http://www.clpgh.org/about/pressroom/2009/RAND_study.pdf

Meanwhile, local libraries are busier than ever...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_612876.html

Now how does any of this relate to WPLUG?
WPLUG has used libraries for a venue in many points in our history. In
recent memory, we have met at the Squirell Hill library and the
Brookline library to meet our short term venue crunch.  WPLUG was not
asked to pay for high-quality facilities that would have otherwise
cost us hundreds of dollars per meeting on the for-profit local
meeting space market.

While we have been meeting lately at the Wilkins School Community
Center (WSCC) for the bargain price of $15/hour, we continue to look
to the libraries for space when the WSCC does not fit the event
specifications.

Consider the fact that the next meeting is an installfest at Brookline
Library on June 6.
http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20090606

While the 6/30 state budget vote will not affect the 6/6 WPLUG
meeting, it may affect our ability to reserve rooms for future events.

One way for libraries to cut funding is to reduce hours. The Carnegie
main library in Oakland has already done so this year to cut costs...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_605094.html

With such a significant cut in revenue, I speculate that the libraries
would have to continue cut their hours too. Just in case you think
this is a stretch, let's go into the actual RAND report...
http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/2008/RAND_TR638.pdf

Just in case you don't have the time to read the 85 page Rand report,
here are a few ways that CLP can address it's funding situation that
do not favor the interests of WPLUG members...

* consultation of libraries
* charge rent for meeting spaces
* "right sizing" facilities, labor, and holdings
* reduce expenses (technology being one of them)

English translation: less library buildings, less building
renovations, less library workers, less hours, less books, less
support for computer services.

What can you do about it?
First look at the map...
http://www.spcregion.org/pdf/pennhouselegdist.pdf
to find out which representative is in your area
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/member_information/representatives_alpha.cfm
and write them a letter with ideas from the CLP advocate page above
before they approve the budget on June 30. Email is ok but written
letters are better.

Even if you don't live in Allegheny county, consider this your issue
too. This affects libraries statewide.  Consider this, our sister lug,
Erie Lug, met at the library before moving on to the hospital. Where
libraries thrive, communities thrive. Where community thrives, Linux
thrives.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Beth Lynn Eicher