[wplug-plan] Election rule change proposal

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Jun 7 21:49:44 EDT 2009

Hello all-

This seemed like the best place to kick off this discussion.  At
the July meeting, I intend to make a motion to substitute the
following language for the current Election Special Rule of Order:

  A plurality vote shall elect Directors.  Any ties shall be
  decided by random selection.

This would replace the current wording, available at:
http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Special_Rules_of_Order#Election_Special_Rule_of_Order

While I think the current system was well-intended, in practice I
feel it is unwieldy and confusing to voters.  I believe that in
every election we've had, at least one ballot had to be thrown out
because it was filled in incorrectly.  Last year, we had to hold a
second round of balloting because we did not get five people who
received enough votes the first time.

In addition, vote-counting has been time-consuming because tellers
have had to be trained in the system each time and learn on the
job.

The new language simply means the top five vote-getters would be
elected.  Ties would be broken randomly.  (Also, someone in a tie
could choose to withdraw and hand the election to the other
candidate.)

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.