[wplug-plan] February InstallFest Location

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 17:44:11 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher
<bethlynneicher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
>> I received word from Robert Morris regarding a meeting space at Moon
>> Twp campus.  Unfortunately, nothing suitable is available any weekend
>> in February.  Also, the rental cost is well beyond WPLUG's budget.
>>
>> If anyone has an idea for a meeting space in western Allegheny County,
>> please let me know.
>
> I looked into the Carnegie Carnegie library about two years ago and
> they seemed open to the idea.
> http://www.carnegiecarnegie.com
>
> While they had high speed internet in the building, it was not in the
> entire building. Soon after we found the WSCC
> so I stopped pursuing this direction.
>
> Does anyone have an IN for this organization or another in the west?

This email is two things

1. Brain dump from my visit of Carnegie Carnegie library today
2. A specific call to action for a volunteer (not me) who has 10
minutes of time during business hours to follow up.

Part one: brain dump

The public library of Carnegie, Pennsylvania 300 Beechwood Avenue
Carnegie, PA 15106 http://www.carnegiecarnegie.com/

The library is located at the end of Beechwood which is on a
residential street in Carnegie, minutes from the Carnegie exit of
Parkway west. The library is not on the main drag (Mansfield, West
Main Street) so taking a bus would entail hiking up the hill toward
Beechwood. The good news about getting there is that Google maps
describes the directions well and there is a streetview of the
library.

Once you arrive there is some parking around the building. In general
there was a gravelled area with not defined painted spaces. If people
are creative, around 20 cars can be parked head-in and parallel.
Street parking in the neighbourhood seemed available. All parking was
free.

There were three apparent ingresses.
1. Into the library, about a dozen stairs
2. Into the theatre, also about a dozen stains
3. Ramp into accessible door, ringing a doorbell required

Inside the library there is a corner with tables. Since this is the
reference section, I doubt it is an area where we could have food. The
way this area is setup, it could accommodate up to 12 systems.
Wireless is available with a library card issued in Allegheny county.
There is more space in the children's section but the seating looks
uncomfortable for anyone over 4 foot tall. It being 12/26, I would say
the place was very busy with every one of the 12 internet terminals
used by an adult patron. The adult books seemed to be dated and I did
not find any computer book section. On the other hand, the children's
selection was outstanding. Saturday hours on non-summer months are
10am-5pm. They are closed on Sundays.

The theatre itself is setup to host musical performances that run on
various weekends throughout the year for audiences of over 500.
Wireless does not work in the theatre lobby. The theatre itself as
closed so I assume that does not have service either. www.stage62.com
is their website.

The second floor of the building has a "reception room" which is not
part of the theatre or the library. I noticed that there were several
data jacks in the wall and they were uniquely numbered. Power, folding
tables, folding chairs were ample. There was also a full kitchen on
this floor. Unfortunately there was no wireless. The space was double
of what we have in the basement at the WSCC. The room itself was
exceptionally beautiful and decorated for Christmas.

The elevator serves all floors, including the reception room on the
second floor. I did not ring the doorbell. Nor did I test to see if
that door is locked.

Conclusions:
* The reception room at the Carnegie Carnegie could work for an
installfest providing that the data jacks actually tie into the
internet.
* The library itself could work in a pinch if everyone is extremely
considerate of the surroundings. Vintage charm describes the library
well. They even have a microfiche reader so bring all of your
favourite fiches!
* If we do something in this space, we should offer a workstation
specific to a task like photo scanning. This will give us an
entry-level event for the general public and walk-in benefit.

Part two: action items

I can not follow up on this venue possibility because I can not
make/take phone calls during business hours.

One person needs to call and ask the questions below and report back
to this thread. To make sure we do not have dozens of people calling,
please send a quick email to say "I'm calling right now" then a second
one with the results.

The person responsible for reservations is Lynn Cocrin (not sure of
the spelling). Her number is 412-276-3456 ext 7. She does not do
email. Ask for Lynn during business hours, including next week.

When you call, take down the answers to the following questions:
1. What is the availability of the "reception room" on Saturday
afternoons late January-early March? Check with the
2. What deposits or fees are required for the reception room?
3. Can the accessible entrance be unlocked?
4. Do they have any recommendations for advertising an event for "free
computer help" to their patrons? Is there a calendar/corkboard we can
post?
5. Can we use the wired internet on the 2nd floor providing that we
bring in all of our on networking gear?
6. What are the next steps for securing the room?
7. If we book with them, what is the likelihood that we will get bumped.

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher